Saturday 5 March 2011

Q&A with Misha Suharevski


Visual Artist Misha Suharevski studied painting at the Hungarian University of Fine Arts before turning his creative talents towards graphics, photography, illustration and glass design. Misha's work recently caught our eye in the Hungarian fashion & culture magazine Lack so we got in touch to find out more about his work...



Have you always wanted to be an illustrator?

I've always liked illustration, but I didn't plan on pursuing it as a career. For the past few years however, I have produced a lot more graphic work- drawings with graphite and pencil on paper. Last year, around October, the editor of Lack Magazine called me to tell me about their plans and how I could get involved. First I produced some handmade typography from which I developed into different themed Illustration families. I've got lot of creative freedom at Lack.


Emmer Laszlo portrait for Lack Magazine

Who has been your biggest inspiration?

Different fine artists such as Georg Grosz, Andy Warhol, David Hockney, Barbara Krüger, Raymond Pettibon, Luca Guarini. In illustration I like the work of Ricardo Fumanal, Louis-Maurice Boutet de Monvel and Sydney Parkinson.



Is there a specific theme you like to explore within your work?

I like the world of music videos, rockstars, indie people, nature and classic film.

 Berlin Wall 2009

Tell us about the Berlin Wall project:

To celebrate 20 years since the Berlin Wall fell, the Ginger Agency called me with a proposal to produce a piece of work. It was a 250×120 cm object created by artists from all across Europe and I was the Hungarian member. I met with the Hungarian president, and with Horst Köhler. During this time there were also film screenings, concerts, danceplays (Frenák) and parties on the Városháza tér and Merlin.


Illustration for Lack Magazine

What are you currently working on?

I plan on exhibiting my graphic works in a gallery soon. But first I must realise the 3 meter long Last Supper themed painting I've been working on. I had to try and find the best models to play the apostles and Maria Magdalena. Once I had them all I collaborated with a photographer friend of mine, it was a great happening with dishes and wines.

Learn more about Misha here

No comments:

Post a Comment