Tuesday 25 January 2011

Readable Clothes: Klára Petra Szabó


During her studies at the University of West Hungary's Institute of Applied Arts in Sopron, Klára designed a carpet for Sotex and won the silver prize in the Graniph Design Awards before travelling to Denmark with the Royal Danish Ministry of Education Scholarship. Since then, Klára's work has been exhibited right across Hungary from Budapest to Hódmezővásárhely as well as in Slovakia and Belgium.

Currently exhibiting at the Printa studio in Budapest, Klára talks to me about her most recent collection of work: Readable Clothes.

 

Tell us a bit about yourself:

I am an artist and designer from Hungary. I work mainly with watercolours and brush-pen. The feelings I illustrate vary according to my moods and emotional deepness itself. I always try to visualize my feelings, my environment, my friends, and my life through my paintings. The majority of my paintings are small and complex and attempt to reflect my sense of the times we are living in.


What’s the idea behind Readable Clothes?

I started this project during the Krinzinger Residency Program in May 2010. For this project I have explored the topic of mimicry and camouflage. Camouflage is a method of avoiding observation, allowing an otherwise visible organism or object to remain undetectable from the surrounding environment. Camouflage is essentially a form of visual mimicry. In between camouflage and mimicry is mimesis which carries a wide range of meanings, including: imitation, representation, the act of resembling, the act of expression, and the presentation of the self.


 What is the significance of the text on the t-shirts?

My models always choose their own t-shirts. The text is personal and holds a message which is important to them. I love the topic of fashion – particularly the combination of fashion and the wearer’s personality and behaviours. Through clothes, we are able to see the wearer’s style, their mood or their social status.

Is this the first time you’ve explored the theme of fashion?

Before Readable Clothes I worked on a painted street fashion blog project called Art & Style.

Do you normally work on this scale?

It’s the first time I have worked on a larger scale. My paintings are usually small, but for this project I decided to increase the size to emphasize the text. I left the background unpainted because the most important thing for the viewer to focus on is the text on the t-shirt.



What are you currently working on?

At the moment I am working with animation. The thought of melding my traditional hand painted watercolours with digital techniques has really inspired me.

For more informatiom about Klára and to see more of her work, pop over to her official website

No comments:

Post a Comment